Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Park use in Canada soared during COVID-19: survey

Park use in Canada soared during COVID-19: survey
The survey by charity organization Park People found that two-thirds of the 3,500 respondents it surveyed reported having spent more time in parks during the pandemic, while almost 40 per cent said their use of parks had doubled.

Park use in Canada soared during COVID-19: survey

Parents of murdered teen address B.C. court

Parents of murdered teen address B.C. court
The father of a 13-year-old girl who was murdered at a high school in Abbotsford, B.C., says he doubts the killer will receive a fit sentence for the damage caused to his family by her death.

Parents of murdered teen address B.C. court

Well-known climate activists join UBC faculty

Well-known climate activists join UBC faculty
The University of British Columbia says climate activists and journalists Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis are joining its faculty in the department of geography. A statement from the university says Klein has been named the inaugural Faculty of Arts Chair in Climate Justice and starts her new role in September.

Well-known climate activists join UBC faculty

Vancouver ranks number 1 as the most expensive city to live in within Canada

Vancouver ranks number 1 as the most expensive city to live in within Canada
Vancouver is at the number one spot for the most expensive city to live in within Canada according to a survey conducted by Mercer regarding the annual cost of living.  Globally Vancouver ranks 93rd in the world. 

Vancouver ranks number 1 as the most expensive city to live in within Canada

House of Commons breaks for summer today

House of Commons breaks for summer today
The House of Commons is poised to break today for the summer — and possibly for an election — after giving eleventh-hour approval to what the minority Liberal government considers its priority legislation.

House of Commons breaks for summer today

PBO: Seniors benefit boost could cost $10.7B

PBO: Seniors benefit boost could cost $10.7B
April's budget estimated that the overall cost of the measures would amount to just over $12 billion over five years before accounting for tax revenues that will offset a small part of the overall spend.

PBO: Seniors benefit boost could cost $10.7B