Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

9 Punjabis involved in Project Brisa, largest , international drug takedown in Toronto Police Service’s history

9 Punjabis involved in Project Brisa, largest , international drug takedown in Toronto Police Service’s history
The Toronto Police Service have announced the takedown of a major international drug-smuggling ring, which saw more than 1,000 kilograms of cocaine, crystal meth, and marijuana being transported between Mexico, California, and Canada using modified tractor trailers. Out of the 9 arrested, 9 people are of Punjabi descent. 

9 Punjabis involved in Project Brisa, largest , international drug takedown in Toronto Police Service’s history

Charges stayed against parents in toddler's death

Charges stayed against parents in toddler's death
Crown prosecutors have stayed charges against parents who were facing a third trial in the death of their toddler in southern Alberta. Shawn Buckley, a lawyer for David and Collet Stephan, said Tuesday he received a letter from the Crown about the decision.

Charges stayed against parents in toddler's death

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order
Trans Mountain has now submitted a satisfactory plan to correct deficiencies in the oversight of its contractors that could pose threats to nesting birds, the Canada Energy Regulator said Tuesday in a statement.

Regulator lifts Trans Mountain stop-work order

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 1,150 active cases of COVID-19 in BC. This is the lowest number since of active cases since September 1. There There are 111 people in hospital, up 3, and 41 in ICU, down 6.

56 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats
Rachna Singh, parliamentary secretary for anti-racism initiatives, says a partner with the province's anti-racism network in Nanaimo and Ladysmith decided to cancel the car rally after organizers received threats of physical violence.

B.C. anti-racism rally postponed after threats

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault
62 year old Abbotsford resident, Deepak Sharma, was found guilty on June 18th, 2021 in North Vancouver provincial court. His sentencing hearing date has been set for June 29. 

Former President of the Abbotsford Hindu Temple found guilty of sexual assault