Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada to receive 9.5M vaccine doses this week

Canada to receive 9.5M vaccine doses this week
The federal government says the Massachusetts-based pharmaceutical firm will deliver a total of 7.1 million jabs in two separate shipments this week.

Canada to receive 9.5M vaccine doses this week

Trudeau at NATO, then Canada-EU summit

Trudeau at NATO, then Canada-EU summit
Trudeau began his day by meeting with the president of Latvia, where the Canadian military is leading a NATO alliance battlegroup whose mission is to deter Russian aggression in the region.

Trudeau at NATO, then Canada-EU summit

Terror charges for accused in London attack

Terror charges for accused in London attack
20 year old Nathaniel Veltman had been charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder in the June 6 incident in London, Ont., which police have called an act motivated by hate against the Islamic faith.

Terror charges for accused in London attack

Liberals move to force vote on budget bill

Liberals move to force vote on budget bill
The Trudeau Liberals moved on Monday to force an end to debate in the House of Commons on the government's budget bill and bring it to a vote.

Liberals move to force vote on budget bill

Liberals criticize officers who golfed with Vance

Liberals criticize officers who golfed with Vance
Liberal cabinet ministers are expressing their dismay after senior military officers recently joined former defence chief Jonathan Vance for a game of golf in Ottawa.

Liberals criticize officers who golfed with Vance

B.C. set to announce next steps in restart plan

B.C. set to announce next steps in restart plan
Premier John Horgan, a slew of his cabinet ministers and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry will hold a news conference to announce the next steps in B.C.'s plan to safely restart the province.

B.C. set to announce next steps in restart plan