Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

Large police presence in downtown Maple Ridge

Large police presence in downtown Maple Ridge
On Friday morning, June 11th, at around 7:00 AM, the Ridge Meadows RCMP’s Street Enforcement Unit, with assistance from the RCMP’s Emergency Response Team, executed a search warrant in the 22100 block area of Lougheed Hwy. Three people have been safely arrested.

Large police presence in downtown Maple Ridge

Vancouver Police seize guns in illegal marijuana store bust

Vancouver Police seize guns in illegal marijuana store bust
Vancouver Police are investigating after firearms were located during an inspection of an unlicensed marijuana store by the Province’s Community Safety Unit (CSU).

Vancouver Police seize guns in illegal marijuana store bust

Mother of London attack suspect prays for victims

Mother of London attack suspect prays for victims
The mother of the man accused of driving down and killing a Muslim family in London, Ont., says she is "grieved by the horrific tragedy."

Mother of London attack suspect prays for victims

Canada alone in vaccine vagueness as G7 begins

Canada alone in vaccine vagueness as G7 begins
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is hosting the G7 leaders for a three-day summit, taking place in the southwest village of Carbis Bay — bustling with police and summit officials — where the focus is on ending the health crisis, now in its second year.

Canada alone in vaccine vagueness as G7 begins

Victoria scraps Canada Day broadcast

Victoria scraps Canada Day broadcast
City councillors in Victoria have voted unanimously to cancel a planned Canada Day broadcast in order to permit a "thoughtful reflection" of what it means to be Canadian.

Victoria scraps Canada Day broadcast

Father of alleged London attacker expresses sorrow

Father of alleged London attacker expresses sorrow
The deadly attack against a Muslim family in southwestern Ontario was "a senseless act," the father of the man accused in what police believe was a deliberate hate crime said Thursday.

Father of alleged London attacker expresses sorrow