Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy
Global Affairs Canada says the federal government respects Mexican sovereignty and has no intention of intervening in that country's internal affairs around proposed constitutional reforms. The comments come a day after Mexico's president told reporters Tuesday he has put relations with the Canadian and U.S. embassies "on pause" because of comments from the two countries about a proposed judicial overhaul.

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy

'Tornadoes over water' seen across Eastern Canada this summer

'Tornadoes over water' seen across Eastern Canada this summer
Marc-André Bourgeois-Gaudet was in his boat off the shores of Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Que., last Friday when he saw several funnel clouds descending from the sky like tornadoes. As he got closer, the rain started falling harder than anything he'd ever experienced, he said. "It was like having a waterfall fall on my head."

'Tornadoes over water' seen across Eastern Canada this summer

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is asking the New Democrats and Bloc Québécois to stop supporting the minority government and force an early election, saying Liberal policies are making life less affordable for Canadians. Poilievre called for the other opposition parties to vote non-confidence in the government when the House of Commons resumes next month. 

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election

Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives after party demise

Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives after party demise
The political landscape in British Columbia has shifted with John Rustad's Conservatives now carrying the centre-right banner heading into a fall election campaign. BC United Leader Kevin Falcon's decision to pull his party from the upcoming campaign has opened the province to a clear left-versus-right choice for voters, but almost two dozen incumbent BC United politicians are now pondering their futures.

Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives after party demise

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP
The Coquitlam R-C-M-P is urging parents to be mindful of what information about their children they share online. The Mounties say while sharing a back-to-school photo can be exciting, it could also give away important and private information without intention.

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons
A Tim Hortons location in Vancouver's Chinatown neighbourhood has removed most of the furniture from its dining area. The coffee shop is moving to a standing-room style of service as other stores in the city make changes of their own to discourage theft.

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons