Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Help needed to solve BC cold case

Help needed to solve BC cold case
Mounties in West Kelowna are appealing to the public for new information that could help solve a double homicide in Peachland 20 years ago. Police say Dean Desimone and an unknown male suspect entered a home and got into a shootout with an occupant, Anthony Gorkoff, in April 2004.

Help needed to solve BC cold case

CBSA seizes drugs at YVR

CBSA seizes drugs at YVR
The Canada Border Services Agency says officers at the Vancouver International Airport seized nearly 25 kilograms of methamphetamine concealed in passenger suitcases destined for Sydney, Australia, in two separate incidents last month. The agency says border officers used a detector dog to intercept 10 kilograms of methamphetamine concealed in false compartments in two suitcases on July 27th.

CBSA seizes drugs at YVR

Calgarians do better on second day of water rationing as pipe repairs continue

Calgarians do better on second day of water rationing as pipe repairs continue
City officials say Calgarians are getting better at cutting down on their water use, but need to do more to stop the taps from potentially running dry. The city says 497 million litres of water were used on Tuesday.

Calgarians do better on second day of water rationing as pipe repairs continue

Opposition Leader Falcon ends BC United election campaign, backs BC Conservatives

Opposition Leader Falcon ends BC United election campaign, backs BC Conservatives
British Columbia Opposition Leader Kevin Falcon has announced that he is suspending BC United's election campaign and is encouraging supporters to instead back the rival BC Conservative Party.

Opposition Leader Falcon ends BC United election campaign, backs BC Conservatives

B.C. HandyDART workers prepare to strike after rejecting contract offer

B.C. HandyDART workers prepare to strike after rejecting contract offer
The president of the union local for B.C. HandyDART workers says a withdrawal of the transit service is "imminent" as it prepares to serve a 72-hour strike notice. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 president Joe McCann says members voted down a final contract offer by employer Transdev Canada by an "overwhelming" margin.

B.C. HandyDART workers prepare to strike after rejecting contract offer

Daycare in central Alberta closed due to E. coli outbreak

Daycare in central Alberta closed due to E. coli outbreak
A daycare in central Alberta has been temporarily shut due to an E. coli outbreak.  Alberta Health says a child who attended the Aspen Lakes Discovery Centre in Blackfalds tested positive on Friday. 

Daycare in central Alberta closed due to E. coli outbreak