Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact
When wildlife photographer Catherine Babault captured images of a female grizzly bear with two cubs encountering a herd of elk on Vancouver Island last month, she knew she had witnessed something special.

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact

Man charged in alleged assault

Man charged in alleged assault
Police say a man has been charged after an alleged assault last month where the victim reported waking up to a strange man groping her in her home. Surrey RCMP say they responded to the report at about 3:15 a-m on July 20th and the victim told officers that the suspect ran away when she screamed for help.

Man charged in alleged assault

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan
Police in the Okanagan are warning the public of a new Facebook marketplace scam that involves sellers as the victims. Kelowna R-C-M-P say the would-be buyer offers to pay for the items and claims they will electronically transfer the money, telling the seller to check their email.

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more
Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. have already begun a phased shutdown of their networks as the deadline approaches to come to an agreement with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference for a new labour contract. Unless deals are reached, the companies plan to lock out workers early Thursday and the union says it's prepared to call a strike that day.

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident
Two Vancouver police officers have been charged with assault related to an off-duty incident last December. Court records show Brian Hunt and Joshua Wong each face one count of assault over an offence alleged to have occurred on Dec. 16, 2023, in Vancouver.

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street
A City of Vancouver official says a huge crane that crashed down on a busy street will likely be removed in two days, after blocking the route for more than two weeks. Saul Schwebs says crews are "demolishing the crane, not salvaging it."

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street