Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers
President Jason Schilling said about two weeks before most kindergarten to Grade 12 students go back to class, it's unclear why new provincial standards will be in place for Sept. 1, while school divisions have until Jan. 1 to put their own policies and procedures on the books.

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says
Canada’s ambassador to the United States says she's telling Americans about the important relationship between the neighbours as Democrats develop their foreign policy and build unity behind Vice-President Kamala Harris at the party's national convention. Kirsten Hillman says she is talking with Democrats about how Canada makes the U.S. more resilient, secure and prosperous. 

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general
Senior public servants have been called to a House of Commons committee to explain the government's decision to buy a $9-million condo for the consul general in New York. Conservative MP Michael Barrett called the residence "excessive" and "opulent," and questioned why the procurement minister was not made aware of the purchase.

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports
The Canada Border Services Agency says a partial systems outage is impacting airports and that it is working to fix the issue. Toronto's Pearson airport says the outage is impacting customs kiosks in two terminals. The airport says travellers using those terminals may experience longer wait times at customs. 

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports

Canada's inflation rate falls to 2.5%, paving way for another interest rate cut

Canada's inflation rate falls to 2.5%, paving way for another interest rate cut
Canada’s annual inflation rate fell to 2.5 per cent last month, matching economists' forecasts and solidifying expectations for a third consecutive interest rate cut in September. Tuesday’s consumer price index report says prices for travel tours, passenger vehicles and electricity helped drive the headline figure lower.

Canada's inflation rate falls to 2.5%, paving way for another interest rate cut

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets
The Conservative Party of Canada has deleted a video that was meant to promote its Canadian values but featured images of what the Defence Minister's office says are Russian fighter jets.  The party acknowledged on Monday that mistakes happen, while also pointing out that the Liberals have dealt with a stock image backlash in the past. 

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets