Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP
RCMP in Coquitlam say an injured bear had to be put down after officers discovered that residents had been feeding it. They say police and the BC Conservation Officer Service went to a neighbourhood in Coquitlam on Wednesday and found an injured bear surrounded by a large crowd. 

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public
The Liberal government said it has not yet made a decision on whether it will grant a bonus for the head of CBC after the public broadcaster eliminated hundreds of jobs. But because of the Privacy Act, it will likely be up to CEO Catherine Tait to publicly disclose if she does receive one, as she has done in past for the 2021-22 fiscal year at a past Canadian Heritage committee. 

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs
RCMP in Coquitlam say a report of a suspicious vehicle led to the seizure of 1.5 kilograms of suspected fentanyl as well as heroin and methamphetamine. Police say officers found the vehicle in an underground parking lot of an apartment building in the area of North Road and Smith Street.

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Machete assault in Williams Lake

Machete assault in Williams Lake
Mounties in Williams Lake say they're investigating a break-in and assault that allegedly involved three men carrying machetes. Police say officers were called to a home overnight Thursday, and one person was visibly injured when the residents came outside.

Machete assault in Williams Lake

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire
Residents came in a sporadic line of cars, trucks and recreational vehicles. One pickup had a refrigerator in its bed. They moved along the main highway through Jasper National Park to the point where it branches off to the east side of the town.

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says
Jacob Hoggard's lawyers say the former Hedley frontman is now serving his sentence after Ontario's top court dismissed his appeal of his sexual assault conviction. The musician's legal team says he surrendered into custody before the ruling was delivered today.

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says