Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing
Mounties in Metro Vancouver say a three-month crackdown on unlicensed ride-hailing drivers has led to more than 66-thousand-dollars in fines. Richmond R-C-M-P say it involved six days of enforcement by officers who used unauthorized ride-hailing apps to book rides and intercept the drivers.

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Large scale theft at Lululemon
Two men have been arrested in connection with what police describe as a large-scale theft operation targeting Lululemon stores across the Lower Mainland. Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a 39-year-old man was arrested in April as he was making a getaway at Burnaby's Metrotown SkyTrain station.

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite
Banff residents have given a thumbs down to a pedestrian zone in the community's downtown, rejecting the idea in a plebiscite Monday. The Town of Banff posted unofficial results of the vote on its website, saying 1,328 votes were cast against the town council's decision to have a pedestrian zone on Banff Avenue every summer, from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving long weekend.

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan
Jessica Lunn, mayor of Slocan in British Columbia's Kootenay region, said she drove along Highway 6 this week to survey the damage done by a nearby complex of fires that forced the evacuations of hundreds and destroyed homes along the road. Lunn, who said attention was now turning to recovery, called the losses "heartbreaking," although she couldn't see the damaged buildings from the newly reopened section of highway.

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba
Many parts of northern Manitoba are under an air quality warning due to wildfire smoke, which is also causing reduced visibility. Environment and Climate Change Canada says the amount of smoke can fluctuate over short distances and can vary considerably from hour to hour.

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back
The operators of three Calgary child-care facilities shut down this week are speaking out against the Alberta government's inspection process, saying they've been discriminated against. The Calgary programs were forced to close Monday, with the government citing "an imminent danger to the health, safety and well-being of children attending the programs."

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back