Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it was only after multiple Listeria cases emerged in Ontario in June that it recognized a broader outbreak that had started back in August 2023. Questions have swirled around why it took nearly a year for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to announce a national recall of several Silk and Great Value plant-based milk products on July 8.

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June
Statistics Canada says wholesale sales, excluding petroleum, petroleum products, and other hydrocarbons and excluding oilseed and grain, fell 0.6 per cent to $82.4 billion in June.  The agency says sales fell in five of the seven subsectors.

Statistics Canada reports wholesale sales down 0.6% in June

Ex Conservative MP, cabinet minister Chuck Strahl dies

Ex Conservative MP, cabinet minister Chuck Strahl dies
Former Conservative MP and cabinet minister Chuck Strahl has died at the age of 67. Strahl was first elected in 1993 and represented the B.C. riding of Chilliwack–Fraser Canyon until his retirement in 2011.

Ex Conservative MP, cabinet minister Chuck Strahl dies

Former B.C. Liberal leadership candidate runs for Rustad's Conservatives in Kelowna

Former B.C. Liberal leadership candidate runs for Rustad's Conservatives in Kelowna
A former leadership rival to BC United Leader Kevin Falcon is joining John Rustad's British Columbia Conservatives to run in Kelowna in the fall election. Gavin Dew was a candidate in the B.C. Liberal leadership race in 2022 that Falcon won, but he is now running in the Kelowna-Mission riding under the B.C. Conservatives banner.

Former B.C. Liberal leadership candidate runs for Rustad's Conservatives in Kelowna

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says
The Transportation Safety Board says mistakes by both the operators of a cargo ship and a pleasure craft resulted in the smaller boat being overturned in Vancouver’s harbour.  A report from the board released Wednesday says the pleasure craft had been rented from Granville Island Boat Rentals on Oct. 15, 2022, for a tour when three people and their two dogs were thrown into the water by the larger ship's bow wave. 

Both vessels made mistakes in Vancouver harbour before capsize, TSB report says

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative
The British Columbia government is providing $2.65 billion for upgrades to Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley in an effort to relieve traffic congestion and ease daily commutes between the communities of Langley and Abbotsford. The funding will go toward upgrades between Mount Lehman Road west of downtown Abbotsford to Highway 11 on the opposite side of the city.

B.C. adds $2.65B for Fraser Valley Highway 1 improvement initiative