Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly and her G7 counterparts have issued a joint statement calling for a de-escalation of tensions in the Middle East. The foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States issued the statement, along with the High Representative of the European Union.

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada
Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says Canadians have a right to know how a man with links to a foreign terror group evaded Canada's screening process to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen. He is demanding that the House of Commons recall its public safety committee to dig into the situation, calling on the Bloc Québécois and NDP to support that request.

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada
Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault says the federal government is considering new regulations that could make fewer employers eligible to hire temporary foreign workers. It's part of a suite of changes the minister is announcing in an effort to reduce the number of temporary foreign workers in Canada. 

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Surrey business targeted in shooting
Police in Surrey say they're investigating yet another shooting involving gunfire targeting a business in the city over the weekend.  Surrey Mounties say the shooting in Newton occurred Sunday night in the 14400-hundred block of 72nd Avenue. 

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP
Surrey RCMP say a man is in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries following a shooting incident Saturday. The incident occurred at about 8:40 a.m. An investigation is underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP
Surrey RCMP say a man is in hospital with serious burns after he was lit on fire during an attack in the community of Whalley. Police say they responded Friday afternoon to a report of an assault at 10200 block of City Parkway, where officers found the man suffering from serious injuries.

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP