Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns
Police in Metro Vancouver say they have seized several firearms after a video appeared online showing a group of people dancing with guns. Surrey R-C-M-P say they became aware of the video yesterday and they were able to confirm the address of the property where it was allegedly filmed. 

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns

Homicide in Langley

Homicide in Langley
Mounties in Langley say one man is dead and another is recovering in hospital after an overnight shooting that's believed to be an isolated incident. R-C-M-P say they received a report of gunshots in area along 202 Street near 72 Avenue just after midnight.

Homicide in Langley

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions
Canada has been planning since October for a possible evacuation of its citizens and sent military personnel to Lebanon and Cyprus in preparation. Salameh hopes that her rescheduled flight on Aug.

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Ottawa says Meta may still see Online News Act regulation — but CRTC wants more proof

Ottawa says Meta may still see Online News Act regulation — but CRTC wants more proof
The Liberal government continues to insist that Meta may still be regulated under its Online News Act, as Facebook and Instagram users find loopholes to share articles despite its news ban. But the regulator overseeing the implementation of the law suggests it doesn't have evidence of that in hand. 

Ottawa says Meta may still see Online News Act regulation — but CRTC wants more proof

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park says wildfires in the area have grown by thousands of hectares and are set to expand further on Friday. The park says the wildfire remains out of control and has grown by about 7,500 hectares, bringing it to about 39,000 hectares.

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States
The agreement, which is yet to be signed, will establish the legal and technical safeguards needed to use U.S. space launch technology, expertise and data for launches in Canada.

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States