Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns
Fisheries and Oceans Canada says "aids to navigation" will continue operating at both the Carmanah Point and Pachena Point light stations located along the Vancouver Island coast that's also home to the famed West Coast Trail. The light keepers will move out of the buildings before winter weather arrives.

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Suspicious fire at Surrey home
Police on Vancouver Island say they have arrested a suspect after a suspicious fire at a home in Sidney. R-C-M-P say officers responded just before 2 p-m yesterday. They say the blaze required a response from the North Saanich, Sidney and Central Saanich Fire Departments.

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Home invasion in Port Moody

Home invasion in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody say a man has been changed over allegations he tried to steal cryptocurrency in a violent home invasion earlier this year.  Officers were called by a third-party to request a check on the well-being of a family on April 28th and found multiple victims who needed treatment for several injuries. 

Home invasion in Port Moody

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia is holding steady at just under 340 as the provincial government warns of increasing fire risk this weekend. A statement from the government says people in wildfire-prone areas are "strongly urged" to be vigilant, adhere to fire bans, and be prepared with an emergency plan.

B.C. warns of increasing wildfire risk with the return of hot, dry weather

PBO estimates capital gain tax change to bring in $17.4B in revenue over five years

PBO estimates capital gain tax change to bring in $17.4B in revenue over five years
The parliamentary budget officer estimates the Liberals' increase to the capital gains inclusion rate will bring in $17.4 billion in revenue over five years. That's two billion dollars less than the federal government projected in its spring budget.

PBO estimates capital gain tax change to bring in $17.4B in revenue over five years

B.C. landslide prompts flood warning hundreds of kilometres down the Fraser River

B.C. landslide prompts flood warning hundreds of kilometres down the Fraser River
Officials in British Columbia say if a landslide damming the Chilcotin River in the central Interior gives way it could lead to a flood surge for hundreds of kilometres.  A government statement says provincial personnel are assessing the risks on the ground and by air at the slide south of Williams Lake. 

B.C. landslide prompts flood warning hundreds of kilometres down the Fraser River