Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74
Former CBC radio journalist and personality Rick Cluff, who was the longtime host of The Early Edition morning show in Vancouver, has died at the age of 74. The public broadcaster says Cluff died shortly after being diagnosed with cancer.

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content
In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver
Two individuals involved in a series of complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have pleaded guilty and were sentenced for their roles. Surrey Mounties say 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu and 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan stole goods such as high-end fragrances and athletic clothing valued at 53-thousand dollars over a six-month span.

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Road rage incident in Richmond

Road rage incident in Richmond
Police in Richmond are on the lookout after a road rage incident resulted in the occupant of one car opening fire on the driver of another vehicle. Richmond R-C-M-P say they responded to a call of shots fired on Hollybridge Way on the evening of June 28th.

Road rage incident in Richmond

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP
Police in Prince George say a 16-year old girl who was taken to hospital last week after a drug overdose has died. Prince George RCMP's Serious Crime Unit is investigating and says the girl appears to have been targeted by a fentanyl trafficker.

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'
Several health advocacy groups have also sounded the alarm about the lack of movement and transparency in the case, warning Canada could miss out on what they call a historic opportunity to reduce tobacco use and regulate the industry.

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'