Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

More flight cuts expected after WestJet strike

More flight cuts expected after WestJet strike
Some 680 members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association had walked off the job on Friday evening despite a directive for binding arbitration from federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan.

More flight cuts expected after WestJet strike

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to attend NATO leaders' summit in Washington next week

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to attend NATO leaders' summit in Washington next week
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is heading to Washington next week to take part in the NATO leaders' summit. The 32 NATO allies are set to mark the alliance's 75th anniversary in the same city where the initial treaty was signed.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to attend NATO leaders' summit in Washington next week

United States looking at all tools to respond to Canada's digital services tax

United States looking at all tools to respond to Canada's digital services tax
The Office of the United States Trade Representative says it will do what’s necessary to halt Canada's tax on large foreign digital services companies. Last month Parliament approved the government's plan to add a three per cent levy on foreign tech giants which generate revenue from Canadian users. It means the companies will have to pay taxes on that revenue in Canada.

United States looking at all tools to respond to Canada's digital services tax

Calgary lifts indoor water restrictions, outdoor ban remains

Calgary lifts indoor water restrictions, outdoor ban remains
Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek has lifted restrictions on indoor water use but says an outdoor ban for the city and surrounding communities remains following repairs to a water main that broke on June 5.

Calgary lifts indoor water restrictions, outdoor ban remains

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP
RCMP say Canada Day celebrations led to tragedy in a small northern Alberta community. Mounties in Fort Vermilion say a 45-year-old man was fatally injured during Monday's parade.

Man dead after falling from equipment during Canada Day parade: Fort Vermillion RCMP

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials
Officials say a flash flood west of Kamloops has impacted at least 20 homes in the community of Savona, but no injuries have been reported. Thompson-Nicola Regional District activated its emergency operations centre Monday the day after heavy rain that saw Highway 1 closed for several hours through the community.

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops: emergency officials