Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities
When the government first announced people with disabilities would have access to national dental coverage this year, Antonella Giordano  really started to look forward to no longer paying out of pocket to care for her teeth. The 61-year-old Montrealer has been on disability from work for more than a decade for reasons related to her mental health.

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears
The mayor of Fort Nelson says the community is feeling more comfortable after a week of wet weather and a downgraded drought threat, but that doesn't mean they're blind to the risk of wildfires that still exists in the region.

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police
Police say the occupants of a Winnipeg home destroyed in an explosion have been located and are safe. They say a father and daughter who lived in the home left before the blast and were found later in the day.

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems
British Columbia's public power utility says for the first time it will provide rebates for the installation of rooftop solar and battery storage systems for residents and businesses.  BC Hydro says in a news release that eligible homeowners can receive rebates up to $10,000 for installing a qualified solar and battery storage system, while apartment buildings, schools, businesses and others could get from $50,000 to $150,000 back. 

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan
Foreign workers have been making the transition to permanent residency at higher rates in recent years, Statistics Canada says. A new report from the federal agency shows that between 2016 and 2020, 23 per cent of foreign workers had become permanent residents two years after obtaining their first work permits.

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen
Commuter traffic is returning to normal in Calgary following a major water main break three weeks ago. Calgary's mayor says the avenue above the repaired water main is set to reopen Friday.

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen