Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. seniors feel 'invisible and forgotten,' new seniors advocate says

B.C. seniors feel 'invisible and forgotten,' new seniors advocate says
Seniors in British Columbia are feeling "invisible and forgotten" as they fall thorough the cracks in existing provincial support systems, their advocate says. In his first report as B.C.'s senior's advocate, Dan Levitt says affordability was the top concern during visits with hundreds of seniors in more than 20 communities in April.

B.C. seniors feel 'invisible and forgotten,' new seniors advocate says

Weather window may help search for three missing mountaineers: B.C. RCMP

Weather window may help search for three missing mountaineers: B.C. RCMP
Police and rescue teams hope a window of good weather will help the search for three mountaineers lost since Friday on Mount Garibaldi in British Columbia. A Squamish RCMP spokeswoman says the clearing conditions could allow an aerial assessment of the area before search and rescue teams are deployed in the "complex terrain."

Weather window may help search for three missing mountaineers: B.C. RCMP

Fatal stabbing in Chinatown

Fatal stabbing in Chinatown
Police say they're investigating a fatal stabbing this morning in Vancouver's Chinatown. They say officers responded to a report of a man in medical distress on Union Street just before 3:30 a-m. 

Fatal stabbing in Chinatown

Family phone plans hinder escape from domestic violence: Women's Shelters Canada

Family phone plans hinder escape from domestic violence: Women's Shelters Canada
Women's Shelters Canada is calling on phone companies to adjust how they respond to those escaping from domestic violence, saying the costs of changing a phone number and difficulties leaving a shared plan are key barriers for victims.

Family phone plans hinder escape from domestic violence: Women's Shelters Canada

Cybersecurity standards emerging in Canada as ransomware business booms

Cybersecurity standards emerging in Canada as ransomware business booms
The ransomware business is booming in Canada. Recent victims have included large corporations such as retailer London Drugs, as well as the City of Hamilton, Ont., and the government of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Cybersecurity standards emerging in Canada as ransomware business booms

Bank of Canada cuts key interest rate for first time in more than four years

Bank of Canada cuts key interest rate for first time in more than four years
The Bank of Canada cut its key interest rate for the first time in more than four years Wednesday, marking a major turning point in its fight against inflation. With the quarter-percentage-point cut, the central bank’s key interest rate now stands at 4.75 per cent.

Bank of Canada cuts key interest rate for first time in more than four years