Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Online streaming services must now pay into fund for Canadian news, content

Online streaming services must now pay into fund for Canadian news, content
Online streaming services like Netflix and Spotify are being told they must start contributing money toward local news and the production of Canadian content. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has directed foreign streamers today to pay five per cent of their annual Canadian profits into a fund.

Online streaming services must now pay into fund for Canadian news, content

Federal NDP want a price cap on grocery store staples, Liberals say it won't work

Federal NDP want a price cap on grocery store staples, Liberals say it won't work
The federal New Democrats want a price cap on grocery store staples if the Liberal government can't convince grocers to bring down the prices themselves. In Europe, some countries have implemented similar measures, and while it's something Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said he has looked into, he doesn't think it's a good idea.

Federal NDP want a price cap on grocery store staples, Liberals say it won't work

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence
Surrey RCMP are currently responding to an unfolding event at a single family residence in the area of 88 Ave. There is a heavy police presence in that neighbourhood at this time & there is no risk to public safety. 88 Ave is currently closed b/w 164 St & 160 St, including 162 St.

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief
The mayors of Merritt, Princeton and Abbotsford want the rejections reconsidered and say they received no details about why their requests to the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund failed, other than being told their lengthy applications were missing information.

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate
The Liberals' pharmacare bill is headed to the Senate after passing third reading in the House of Commons. The bill was the result of careful and lengthy negotiations between the Liberals and the New Democrats as a key element of their political pact to prevent an early election.

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate

White Rock woman charged in theft

White Rock woman charged in theft
A 36-year-old White Rock woman is facing several charges including break and enter, theft and possession of stolen goods, after an alert neighbour in Tsawwassen called police to report a robbery. Delta police say it happened around 4:20 this morning when the neighbour saw a man and woman removing property from the home's garage and putting it in a nearby minivan.

White Rock woman charged in theft