Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue
BC politicians are condemning the arson attack on a Vancouver synagogue last night. Premier David Eby says in a statement posted on social media that the incident at Vancouver's Schara Tzedeck synagogue was a disgusting and reprehensible act of antisemitism that has no place in the province.

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners
British Columbia's government is tripling a program that offers free air conditioners to people with low incomes as forecasters say the province should prepare for hotter-than-normal temperatures in June. Minister of Energy Josie Osborne told a news briefing that the program, launched last year and managed by the Crown power utility, BC Hydro, had already handed out 6,000 air conditioners and the government was prepared to fund another 19,000 or so.

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver
Vancouver Police say a man has been charged after he allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager on a bus in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. They say the investigation began two weeks ago when the 15-year-old girl was groped on a bus near the intersections of Broadway and Quebec streets.

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote
Unifor has filed an unfair labour practice complaint against Amazon amid a vote by workers at a Delta, B.C., warehouse over whether they want to join the union. The union claims Amazon beefed up its workforce as Unifor was in the midst of a union drive to try and weaken support.

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Man carries knife into North Van school

Man carries knife into North Van school
Mounties in North Vancouver are warning the public after a report of a suspicious man allegedly carrying a knife near a North Vancouver elementary school. Police say the incident took place on May 28th outside Westview Elementary and two callers were reported seeing a man carrying what appeared to be a knife near the school. 

Man carries knife into North Van school

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna say a routine traffic stop led to a search warrant for a home, where police found drugs, 43-thousand-dollars in cash, and two handguns. RCMP say officers stopped a vehicle last Friday and found the driver was known to police, with a history of involvement in the drug trade in the Okanagan city.

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna