Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests
Burnaby RCMP say a four-day operation targeting shoplifting at the Metrotown shopping centre led to more than 60 arrests earlier this month. They say 12 of the people arrested had outstanding warrants from across the Lower Mainland, including one person who had been wanted for failure to comply with the province's sex offender registry.

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests

Court certifies flooding lawsuit against Abbotsford, B.C., as class action

Court certifies flooding lawsuit against Abbotsford, B.C., as class action
A judge has certified a class-action lawsuit alleging destruction in the November 2021 atmospheric river flooding in the Fraser Valley was magnified by improper operations of a pump station. B.C. Supreme Court Justice S. Dev Dley says the lawsuit's allegations against the City of Abbotsford potentially affected a significant number of people in the nearby Sumas Prairie area.

Court certifies flooding lawsuit against Abbotsford, B.C., as class action

Weekend armed robbery ID needed

Weekend armed robbery ID needed
R-C-M-P in Surrey are asking for the public's help in identifying two suspects and a vehicle allegedly involved in an armed robbery last weekend. They say officers were called to a business near the intersection of 120 Street and 92 Avenue, where it was reported that two men came in wearing masks and carrying what appeared to be one long gun and one handgun.

Weekend armed robbery ID needed

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline
British Columbia has launched a new helpline for people who witness or experience a racist incident, with support available in more than 240 languages. The province says callers will receive support and guidance, which could include referrals to local community support services, such as counselling or help with reporting to police.

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage
British Columbia will cover the cost of an antiviral drug aimed at treating mild to moderate cases of COVID-19 as the federal government ends its coverage. A statement from B.C.'s Health Ministry says the province will provide 100 per cent coverage for the treatment sold under the brand name Paxlovid, for B.C. residents with an active medical services plan.

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage

Police clear road, arrest one pro-Palestinian protester on University of B.C. campus

Police clear road, arrest one pro-Palestinian protester on University of B.C. campus
Police have arrested one person during the clearance of pro-Palestinian protesters who were blocking a main intersection at the University of British Columbia campus in Vancouver. But there was no obvious move against a protest encampment that has occupied a sports field at the campus for a month.

Police clear road, arrest one pro-Palestinian protester on University of B.C. campus