Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

IIO investigating man's death after officer shooting in Mackenzie

IIO investigating man's death after officer shooting in Mackenzie
British Columbia's police watchdog is investigating police actions after a man was shot and killed by an officer in Mackenzie, B.C. The BC RCMP say they received a report of a man trying to cash a fraudulent cheque at a bank around 2 p.m. on Saturday.

IIO investigating man's death after officer shooting in Mackenzie

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit
BC Transit says several buses in its Victoria fleet are affected by a Transport Canada recall. The agency says a number of its CNG Vicinity Motor Corp. buses contain a manufacturer part that was in the recall.

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers
A spokeswoman for Squamish Search and Rescue in British Columbia says an "active search" is underway for three experienced mountaineers who have been missing since Friday. Christy Allan says in an interview that the climbers were last seen Friday morning on Atwell Peak, located on the southern edge of Mount Garibaldi.

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, with up to 60 millimetres expected by Monday morning. It says the warning comes as a moisture laden Pacific frontal system moves into the south coast of British Columbia, bringing heavy rain.

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store
Surrey R-C-M-P say a sophisticated break and enter at a jewelry store has led to a Canada-wide warrant for one suspect. Mounties say the break-in on March 31st happened over several hours through a "sophisticated series of events using tools and other entry devices."

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec
Robert Pickton, one of Canada's most notorious serial killers, died on Friday, 12 days after he was assaulted in prison. Pickton, an inmate at Port-Cartier Institution in Quebec, was 74.

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec