Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Jun, 2024 10:38 AM
  • Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa

Workers at Canada's borders are no longer planning to go on strike this week after their union reached a tentative agreement with the federal government.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada said Tuesday it reached a deal with the government for Canada Border Services Agency employees after working "around the clock." 

If such an agreement couldn't be hammered out, the union had been planning for a strike of more than 9,000 members beginning 12:01 a.m. on Friday. 

Sharon DeSousa, the union's national president, said in a statement that Tuesday's news is a "well-deserved victory." 

The union said details of the tentative agreement would be released after they are shared with members on Thursday.

In its own press release, the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat said "long hours at the bargaining table" resulted in a deal that "is fair for employees and reasonable for Canadians." 

The Treasury Board said the deal includes wage enhancements and other benefits, but it is not sharing further details until later. 

A similar strike three years ago nearly brought commercial border traffic to a standstill and caused major delays across the country.

Union members will still need to vote to ratify and finalize the deal.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver
Project CEO Jason Klein has told the LNG 2023 conference in Vancouver that the project is close to 85-per-cent complete and will aim to compete globally, not only on price but also its environmental and social track record.

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home
Two people in Nanaimo are unhurt but their home has smoke damage after what R-C-M-P say was a suspicious fire. It happened early yesterday morning south of Nanaimo in the Cinnabar Valley neighbourhood.

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior
The BC Wildfire Service is reporting more than 300 fires, with 87 spotted in the last 24 hours and almost 200 of the total number ranked as out of control.  B.C.'s wildfire danger was high to extreme across all but small pockets of the province on Monday.  

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia
The two countries have signed a "road map" outlining the process. The document sets out three phases for the work, which will eventually involve as many as 2,200 persistently deployed Canadian troops plus the ability to add hundreds of additional Armed Forces members as needed. It states that brigade buildup will be completed in 2025, and that Latvia will work to build new infrastructure.

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection
A shooting in downtown Toronto that sent two people to hospital with serious injuries Monday morning could be the result of road rage following street racing, police said as they worked to identify those responsible. Toronto police said they were called to 7 Charles Street West, just one block south of Toronto's busy Yonge and Bloor intersection, just after 6 a.m. for what they described as a drive-by shooting.

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Surrey shooting leaves one dead

Surrey shooting leaves one dead
On Sunday at approximately 5:07 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to a shooting in an alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street that has left one man deceased. Police are investigating whether a burnt out vehicle located a short time later in the area of 8200-block of 151A Street is connected to the homicide.  

Surrey shooting leaves one dead