Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Jun, 2024 10:38 AM
  • Border strike averted after union reaches tentative agreement with Ottawa

Workers at Canada's borders are no longer planning to go on strike this week after their union reached a tentative agreement with the federal government.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada said Tuesday it reached a deal with the government for Canada Border Services Agency employees after working "around the clock." 

If such an agreement couldn't be hammered out, the union had been planning for a strike of more than 9,000 members beginning 12:01 a.m. on Friday. 

Sharon DeSousa, the union's national president, said in a statement that Tuesday's news is a "well-deserved victory." 

The union said details of the tentative agreement would be released after they are shared with members on Thursday.

In its own press release, the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat said "long hours at the bargaining table" resulted in a deal that "is fair for employees and reasonable for Canadians." 

The Treasury Board said the deal includes wage enhancements and other benefits, but it is not sharing further details until later. 

A similar strike three years ago nearly brought commercial border traffic to a standstill and caused major delays across the country.

Union members will still need to vote to ratify and finalize the deal.

MORE National ARTICLES

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop
Manjinder Singh Kaila, 55, was bitten by a police dog on May 29, 2021, next to his Surrey home, as the cops pursued a suspect, despite the victim yelling “it wasn’t me". The statement of claim named constables Sarbjeet Singh and Paul Baker, who were working with RCMP dog service at that time.

Criminal charges likely after police dog bites Indo-Canadian off-duty cop

Jobless rate went up in June

Jobless rate went up in June
R-B-C assistant chief economist Nathan Janzen says the reason the unemployment rate can rise alongside historically strong employment growth is that population growth continues to set new records, including an increase of 84-thousand people in June.

Jobless rate went up in June

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months
Island Health says a lack of staff has forced it to begin overnight closures of the emergency room at a small Victoria-area hospital. A statement from the health authority says closure of the Saanich Peninsula Hospital emergency department begins at 10 p.m. tonight and will end at 7 a.m. Saturday.

Lack of staff forces Saanich hospital to close ER overnight for two months

BC Port strike now a week long

BC Port strike now a week long
The association says it has learned of the layoffs as well as cargo diversions as the labour dispute drags on, calling on the International Longshore and Warehouse Union to enter a voluntary arbitration process to end the strike.  

BC Port strike now a week long

Airbnb wins Vancouver privacy ruling, as court quashes order to release host data

Airbnb wins Vancouver privacy ruling, as court quashes order to release host data
Justice Jasvinder Basran's ruling says the privacy commissioner must reconsider its findings after notifying Airbnb hosts about the potential release of the information.

Airbnb wins Vancouver privacy ruling, as court quashes order to release host data

Ministerial adviser, Gurveen Dhaliwal, won't be charged in election rule violation probe

Ministerial adviser, Gurveen Dhaliwal, won't be charged in election rule violation probe
The service had tapped a special prosecutor in May to give legal advice on the investigation of Gurveen Dhaliwal, who served as a trustee in New Westminster before being named as an adviser to Health Minister Adrian Dix on May 1. The investigation stemmed from Dhaliwal's presence as a scrutineer during the same election last November in which she was running for a second term.

Ministerial adviser, Gurveen Dhaliwal, won't be charged in election rule violation probe