Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

Here are the facts about British Columbia's wildfire situation on July 26

Here are the facts about British Columbia's wildfire situation on July 26
Wildfires of note: Five. Shetland Creek fire, Kamloops Fire Centre; Antler Creek fire, Cariboo Fire Centre; Aylwin Creek fire, Southeast Fire Centre; Komonko Creek fire, Southeast Fire Centre; Dogtooth FSR fire, Southeast Fire Centre.

Here are the facts about British Columbia's wildfire situation on July 26

B.C.'s top doctor ends public health emergency declared for COVID-19

B.C.'s top doctor ends public health emergency declared for COVID-19
British Columbia's top doctor says she is ending the public health emergency declared in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.  Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says any remaining restrictions, including the vaccination requirement for health-care workers, are being rescinded.

B.C.'s top doctor ends public health emergency declared for COVID-19

Suspect ID needed in stranger sexual assault

Suspect ID needed in stranger sexual assault
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect in a stranger sexual assault that happened in the city on Saturday around 3 a.m. They say officers responded and that the victim reported being woken up by a man groping her at her home.

Suspect ID needed in stranger sexual assault

Body found in the Fraser River

Body found in the Fraser River
Richmond R-C-M-P say they've launched an investigation after a body was found in the Fraser River near an industrial area earlier this week.  Mounties say the human remains were found Tuesday in the water after getting a call around midday on July 22nd. 

Body found in the Fraser River

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia has dropped again to about 400 after another day of favourable weather. The BC Wildfire Service says the fire risk has decreased on the heels of cooler temperatures and rain in many regions following a prolonged dry spell and heat wave that drove numbers beyond 430 earlier this week.

B.C. wildfire count drops amid cool, wet weather, but about 400 still burn

Homicide in Maple Ridge

Homicide in Maple Ridge
The R-C-M-P are investigating a 58-year-old women's death as a homicide after responding to reports of an injured woman in Maple Ridge over the weekend. Mounties say they responded to the report on Sunday afternoon and located a woman suffering from serious injuries who was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Homicide in Maple Ridge