Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered
Calgary emergency officials say they’re sending crews to help the Jasper wildfire while explaining why they briefly shuttered their evacuation centre just as the fire roared into the townsite and started burning structures. Sue Henry, the head of Calgary’s emergency services, said 19 Calgary crews were headed north to the fire scene.

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study
A study of British Columbia's deadly heat dome in 2021 says the risk factor most strongly associated with dying during those sweltering days was whether that person was receiving income assistance.

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Suspect arrested in sexual assault
Police in Victoria say they've arrested a suspect who they believe violently sexually assaulted a woman last week. Victoria police say a woman was threatened and assaulted in the early morning hours of July 18th after an unknown man took her to an area near a piece of public art known as the Commerce Canoe before fleeing. 

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog
A Manitoba RCMP officer has been charged after a woman complained she was assaulted during a domestic call last year. Police were called to a home in The Pas in September after receiving reports of a dispute between two women. 

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire
Ramanath Das said he is aware that the eco-village he and his family are building in Venables Valley, B.C., may no longer exist when they return after being evacuated due to an encroaching wildfire. “We’re ready to go back and everything is as it was with ash all over it, or nothing’s there," said Das, who is the general manager of Vedic Eco Village.

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago
The federal government has reached a $147-million settlement with a First Nation in British Columbia over a dispute about water rights that dates back to the late 1800s. Members of the Esk'etemc First Nation in the Cariboo region began hand digging an irrigation ditch to their reserve with picks and shovels in the 1890s, but the government forced them to stop just a kilometre from their goal to access water for their reserve. 

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago