Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit
BC Transit says several buses in its Victoria fleet are affected by a Transport Canada recall. The agency says a number of its CNG Vicinity Motor Corp. buses contain a manufacturer part that was in the recall.

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers
A spokeswoman for Squamish Search and Rescue in British Columbia says an "active search" is underway for three experienced mountaineers who have been missing since Friday. Christy Allan says in an interview that the climbers were last seen Friday morning on Atwell Peak, located on the southern edge of Mount Garibaldi.

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, with up to 60 millimetres expected by Monday morning. It says the warning comes as a moisture laden Pacific frontal system moves into the south coast of British Columbia, bringing heavy rain.

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store
Surrey R-C-M-P say a sophisticated break and enter at a jewelry store has led to a Canada-wide warrant for one suspect. Mounties say the break-in on March 31st happened over several hours through a "sophisticated series of events using tools and other entry devices."

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec
Robert Pickton, one of Canada's most notorious serial killers, died on Friday, 12 days after he was assaulted in prison. Pickton, an inmate at Port-Cartier Institution in Quebec, was 74.

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue
BC politicians are condemning the arson attack on a Vancouver synagogue last night. Premier David Eby says in a statement posted on social media that the incident at Vancouver's Schara Tzedeck synagogue was a disgusting and reprehensible act of antisemitism that has no place in the province.

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue