Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners
British Columbia's government is tripling a program that offers free air conditioners to people with low incomes as forecasters say the province should prepare for hotter-than-normal temperatures in June. Minister of Energy Josie Osborne told a news briefing that the program, launched last year and managed by the Crown power utility, BC Hydro, had already handed out 6,000 air conditioners and the government was prepared to fund another 19,000 or so.

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver
Vancouver Police say a man has been charged after he allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager on a bus in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. They say the investigation began two weeks ago when the 15-year-old girl was groped on a bus near the intersections of Broadway and Quebec streets.

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote
Unifor has filed an unfair labour practice complaint against Amazon amid a vote by workers at a Delta, B.C., warehouse over whether they want to join the union. The union claims Amazon beefed up its workforce as Unifor was in the midst of a union drive to try and weaken support.

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Man carries knife into North Van school

Man carries knife into North Van school
Mounties in North Vancouver are warning the public after a report of a suspicious man allegedly carrying a knife near a North Vancouver elementary school. Police say the incident took place on May 28th outside Westview Elementary and two callers were reported seeing a man carrying what appeared to be a knife near the school. 

Man carries knife into North Van school

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna say a routine traffic stop led to a search warrant for a home, where police found drugs, 43-thousand-dollars in cash, and two handguns. RCMP say officers stopped a vehicle last Friday and found the driver was known to police, with a history of involvement in the drug trade in the Okanagan city.

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests
Burnaby RCMP say a four-day operation targeting shoplifting at the Metrotown shopping centre led to more than 60 arrests earlier this month. They say 12 of the people arrested had outstanding warrants from across the Lower Mainland, including one person who had been wanted for failure to comply with the province's sex offender registry.

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests