Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river
The Environment Ministry says the storm that rolled over the region for three days starting on Oct. 18 left a trail of damage at Golden Ears Provincial Park, north of Maple Ridge. A statement from the ministry says the province hopes to be able to reopen a portion of the park this fall, but the exact timeline is not yet clear.

B.C.'s Golden Ears park closed due to damage from atmospheric river

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canadian history

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug
Mounties have dismantled what they say is the largest, most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canada. Police say they believe organized crime ran the operation where there was mass-production and distribution of fentanyl and methamphetamine across Canada and internationally.

Gurpreet Randhawa arrested in most sophisticated illicit drug "superlab" in Canadian history

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document
Court documents in the case of two men who murdered British Columbia businessman Ripudaman Singh Malik in 2022 say they were "hired and paid" to kill him. However, the agreed statement of facts does not say who hired them to kill Malik, who was acquitted in 2005 in a B.C. court of the Air India bombings that killed 331 people in 1985. 

Assassins of B.C. man acquitted of Air India bombing 'hired and paid': court document

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December
Creditors of three major tobacco companies will get the chance to weigh in on a proposed multi-billion-dollar settlement in December. An Ontario court has approved a motion that would see representatives for the creditors, which include provincial governments and plaintiffs in two Quebec class-action lawsuits, review and vote on the proposal on Dec. 12.

Creditors to vote on proposed $32.5B tobacco settlement in December

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike
Both the BC Maritime Employers Association and the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 confirm talks are ongoing with the help of federal mediation services. The current negotiation session began on Oct. 29 and was said to be extendable by two days, if necessary.

Union talks underway between foremen, employers to avoid latest B.C. port strike

One pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate crashes in Calgary

One pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate crashes in Calgary
A man is dead and a woman is in serious condition after two recent pedestrian collisions in Calgary. Police say a man in his 50s was riding a mobility scooter in a parking lot on Saturday when he was hit by an SUV.

One pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate crashes in Calgary