Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port employers, foremen's union return to negotiation table with mediator

B.C. port employers, foremen's union return to negotiation table with mediator
The BC Maritime Employers Association says in a statement that it will meet Oct. 29 with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514, which represents about 700 port foremen. 

B.C. port employers, foremen's union return to negotiation table with mediator

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada
Polish authorities say four people have been charged in an alleged plan to send explosives via courier service to Canada and the United States. The RCMP says it is aware of the arrests, but declined further comment to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

Poland arrests people in alleged plot to send explosives to Canada

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo
A man is dead after a hit-and-run in Nanaimo last night. RCMP say bystanders and first responders tried to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Deadly hit and run in Nanaimo

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing
A man charged in the fatal stabbing of an 18-year-old in the parking lot of a Metro Vancouver high school two years ago has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Homicide investigators say the man, who cannot be identified because he was 17 at the time of the attack, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in provincial court in Surrey.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Metro Vancouver school stabbing

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says
Workers in Metro Vancouver have chiselled away about 50 tonnes of so-called "fatbergs" that have clogged the sewer system and prompted a reminder to residents not to dump grease down the drain. 

50 tonnes of 'fatbergs' removed from Richmond sewers, Metro Vancouver says

Body found in Cowichan Bay

Body found in Cowichan Bay
Police on eastern Vancouver Island say they have found the body of a 26-year-old man in the waters of Cowichan Bay. R-C-M-P say the man was last seen Monday and reported missing on Wednesday.

Body found in Cowichan Bay