Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Halloween safety plan key: Coquitlam RCMP

Halloween safety plan key: Coquitlam RCMP
Police in Coquitlam are urging people to have a plan as Halloween approaches to ensure the safety of children and pedestrians. Mounties say trick-or-treating often leads to increased number of pedestrians on the roadways, and people should make sure their costumes are visible in the dark.

Halloween safety plan key: Coquitlam RCMP

Mail-in ballot figures coming for each B.C. riding, may make election outcome clearer

Mail-in ballot figures coming for each B.C. riding, may make election outcome clearer
Elections BC is expected to provide a breakdown today of the number of uncounted mail-in and absentee ballots in each of British Columbia's 93 ridings, potentially making clearer the outcome of the weekend's nail-biting vote. There are about 65,000 of the ballots to count between tomorrow and Monday, which could solidify results from election night, or may even flip some ridings. 

Mail-in ballot figures coming for each B.C. riding, may make election outcome clearer

One charged in arson: Surrey RCMP

One charged in arson: Surrey RCMP
Surrey R-C-M-P say a 29-year-old man has been charged with one count of arson causing property damage after a fire in the Newton neighbourhood last week. The Mounties say they were called to help in the response to the residential structure fire, and found firefighters were detaining a man at the scene.

One charged in arson: Surrey RCMP

Stabbing in Downtown core: VPD

Stabbing in Downtown core: VPD
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating a stabbing in the city's downtown core. Constable Tania Visintin says the victim was found at the intersection of West Hastings and Richards Streets, but it appears the stabbing happened elsewhere.

Stabbing in Downtown core: VPD

Crucial B.C. election recounts won't start until Sunday afternoon

Crucial B.C. election recounts won't start until Sunday afternoon
Voting officials say recounts in two ridings that could determine the outcome of British Columbia's election won't start until Sunday afternoon — and it won't be until Monday before the makeup of the legislature is finalized. The updated timeline provided by Elections BC says results of the Surrey City Centre recount will be posted on its website on Sunday when it is complete, while the outcome from Juan De Fuca—Malahat will be posted when it is finished the next day.

Crucial B.C. election recounts won't start until Sunday afternoon

Joly at Paris summit on Lebanon as Canadian donation-matching goal falling short

Joly at Paris summit on Lebanon as Canadian donation-matching goal falling short
France hosted dozens of countries at the summit on Thursday, which it said had raised US$1 billion in pledges for Lebanon. A fifth of that is for the country's military while the rest is targeted at humanitarian aid.

Joly at Paris summit on Lebanon as Canadian donation-matching goal falling short