Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town
Mounties in B.C. say a 64-year-old Vancouver man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of a man in 70 Mile House in December 2021. B.C. RCMP say 52-year-old The-Thanh (Ted) Nguyen was found unresponsive at a home in the small community on Dec. 26, 2021 and efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

RCMP announce murder charge in 2021 slaying of 52-year-old man in small B.C. town

North Shore Rescue team finds missing hiker after all-night search

North Shore Rescue team finds missing hiker after all-night search
A search and rescue team in North Vancouver says a missing hiker has been located after an all-night search. North Shore Rescue says the hiker was found "cold and wet, but uninjured" near Norvan Falls in Lynn Headwaters Regional Park.

North Shore Rescue team finds missing hiker after all-night search

Three B.C. Conservatives kicked from the party will sit as Independents

Three B.C. Conservatives kicked from the party will sit as Independents
Three former B.C. Conservative legislators have announced they will sit as Independents in the provincial legislature. Dallas Brodie was kicked out of the party on Friday over her comments about residential schools, and Jordan Kealy and Tara Armstrong left the party saying Opposition Leader John Rustad had abandoned the truth.

Three B.C. Conservatives kicked from the party will sit as Independents

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien tells Trump to 'stop this nonsense'

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien tells Trump to 'stop this nonsense'
Moments before the new Liberal leader was announced on Sunday, former prime minister Jean Chrétien took to the stage to reprimand U.S. President Donald Trump over tariffs and threats to Canada's sovereignty. Chrétien warned a crowd of Liberals gathered in Ottawa that Canada’s “long and fruitful” relationship with Americans was falling apart with continued hostility coming from the Trump administration.

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien tells Trump to 'stop this nonsense'

U.S. commerce secretary says steel and aluminum tariffs coming this week

U.S. commerce secretary says steel and aluminum tariffs coming this week
Canada remains in the crosshairs of U.S. President Donald Trump's enormous tariff agenda, with steel and aluminum duties set to come into force on Wednesday. U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said Sunday that Trump will follow through on his threat to impose 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports into the U.S.

U.S. commerce secretary says steel and aluminum tariffs coming this week

Liberals turn to transition plans after Mark Carney wins leadership

Liberals turn to transition plans after Mark Carney wins leadership
Liberal MPs are gathering on Parliament Hill this afternoon to huddle after the party chose former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney as its new leader. Carney is heading into a day full of briefings and in the coming days will need to be sworn in as prime minister, choose his cabinet and sort out his party's battle plans for the coming federal election — but the exact timeline for all these things remains unclear.

Liberals turn to transition plans after Mark Carney wins leadership