Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools
Dallas Brodie didn't name anyone, but appeared to single out the Conservatives' house leader, A'aliya Warbus, by criticizing an Indigenous woman who sided with the governing NDP to criticize Brodie. Warbus is the only Indigenous woman in the Opposition ranks

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre
In a new report, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security says it expects individuals affiliated with the Chinese government will continue to target diaspora communities, pushing narratives favourable to Beijing's interests on social media platforms. Cybercriminals are also likely to take advantage of election-related opportunities to perpetrate scams, says the centre, which is an arm of Canada's cyberspy agency, the Communications Security Establishment. 

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement
British Columbia Attorney General Niki Sharma says B.C.'s share of a landmark settlement for health damages from the big tobacco firms will be about $3.7 billion. It's part of a $32.5-billion Canadian settlement between JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. and their creditors after more than five years of negotiations.

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response
British Columbia will introduce legislation in the coming days that would give it the ability to levy fees on commercial trucks travelling from the United States through the province to Alaska, Premier David Eby said.  The move against Alaska-bound trucks is part of a series of responses the province is planning after the "unprecedented attack" from the United States that put a 25 per cent tariff on many Canadian goods.

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause
Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc says Canada has suspended a second wave of retaliatory tariffs after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order to pause some duties.

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list
Ryan James Wedding is wanted for allegedly leading an organized crime group that moved large shipments of cocaine from Colombia through Mexico and California to Canada and other locations in the United States.

Former Canadian Olympic athlete added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list