Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. finance minister describes Tuesday's budget as nothing 'splashy and new'

B.C. finance minister describes Tuesday's budget as nothing 'splashy and new'
British Columbia Finance Minister Brenda Bailey says her inaugural budget was "very measured" rather than "splashy and new," in the early days of a trade war with the United States. Bailey told members of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce today that the budget drives economic growth by working to "unstick" things such as project development by cutting red tape to speed up the permit process.

B.C. finance minister describes Tuesday's budget as nothing 'splashy and new'

More than 100 arrested in countrywide child exploitation operation, police say

More than 100 arrested in countrywide child exploitation operation, police say
Police say they have made more than 100 arrests and laid more than 300 charges in a major national child exploitation operation. Representatives of the RCMP and other police forces provided an update today on a project aimed at protecting children from sexual abuse.

More than 100 arrested in countrywide child exploitation operation, police say

Trump grants auto tariff pause, tariffs on Canada remain after call with Trudeau

Trump grants auto tariff pause, tariffs on Canada remain after call with Trudeau
The Big Three automakers were able to secure a month-long tariff exemption on Wednesday after a conversation with U.S. President Donald Trump, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrapped a call to the Oval Office with no such guarantees for Canada. Trump has granted a one-month exemption for any vehicles coming through the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade, also known as CUSMA.

Trump grants auto tariff pause, tariffs on Canada remain after call with Trudeau

Trump dismisses Canada's border efforts, accuses Trudeau of power grab

Trump dismisses Canada's border efforts, accuses Trudeau of power grab
In a post on Truth Social, Trump also says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau could not tell him in a phone conversation today when Canada's election will happen — and falsely accused Trudeau of trying to use tariffs to stay in power.

Trump dismisses Canada's border efforts, accuses Trudeau of power grab

Prime Minister Trudeau and President Trump spoke by phone

Prime Minister Trudeau and President Trump spoke by phone
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone this afternoon about trade and fentanyl. A spokeswoman for the Prime Minister's Office confirms the call took place.

Prime Minister Trudeau and President Trump spoke by phone

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll
A new poll suggests the trade war with the United States is now the biggest source of political concern for Canadians, knocking inflation out of the top spot. Leger says 28 per cent of Canadians believe dealing with President Donald Trump's tariffs and U.S. aggression is the most important challenge facing Canada today.

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll