Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs
The British Columbia government released a budget Tuesday with Finance Minister Brenda Bailey saying it defends the province from an unfolding North American trade war triggered by U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs. Here's what people are saying about the B.C. government's budget: 

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville
Police say it was "miraculous" that no one was killed in a head-on collision that destroyed two vehicles near Parksville, B.C. A statement from B.C. Highway Patrol says three people, including a child, were taken to hospital after the crash Monday on Highway 19.

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs
Brenda Bailey is expected to speak today at an event hosted by the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, her first public appearance after tabling the budget on the same day U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent on Canadian goods.

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues
Canada's industry minister is looking to block what he calls "predatory investment behaviour" as a trade war with the United States continues. François-Philippe Champagne warned Wednesday that Canadian businesses could be at risk due to the sweeping tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
Canada has responded with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand them to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days.

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs
Travel agency Flight Centre Travel Group Canada says leisure bookings to American cities dropped 40 per cent in February from the same month in 2024, while one in five customers cancelled their trips to the U.S. over the past three months.

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs