Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat
British Columbia Premier David Eby says it has been "absolutely inspirational" to see people step up across the province and Canada to support homegrown businesses in response to the tariff threat from U.S. President Donald Trump. Eby made the comment during a visit to a Save-On-Foods location in Vancouver, where he highlighted efforts to boost local food production.

More 'Buy BC' ads coming as Eby touts local food in response to U.S. tariff threat

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight
Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly says there's a good chance that Russia could re-invade Ukraine if there are no security guarantees in a peace deal. Her statement comes after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and U.S. President Donald Trump engaged in a shocking verbal brawl in the White House today.

Joly says Ukraine needs a security guarantee after Trump-Zelenskyy fight

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley
A house fire and possible explosion has closed off a neighbourhood in Langley. RCMP say the fire was reported on Friday morning, and officers along with firefighters and paramedics responded to the scene in the 7300 block of 196 Street. Police say homes in the surrounding area have since been evacuated.

Police investigate possible explosion, house fire at home in Langley

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say
Police in British Columbia say a 31-year-old man has been charged following investigation into a drug trafficking network operating in the Lower Mainland and Interior. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of B.C. says in a release that their investigation began in the Lower Mainland last July, but the team soon uncovered the network reached as far as Kamloops.

Man charged after investigation into B.C. drug trafficking network, police say

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner
Doug Ford's Progressive Conservatives won't have long to sit back and bask in the glow of winning a third majority government with an imminent tariff threat around the corner. The Tories won Ontario's snap provincial election Thursday with Ford speaking about the need to fight U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed tariffs at nearly every turn on the campaign trail.

Doug Ford's Ontario PCs win re-election, with tariff threats around the corner

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats
Anita Anand, minister of transport and internal trade, says she's changed her mind and will run in the upcoming federal election. In January, Anand said she would not run for the Liberal party leadership and would not seek re-election as she considered returning to her former life as an academic.

Transport Minister Anand says she's seeking re-election in face of Trump's threats