Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rain, wind warnings issued along B.C. south coast

Rain, wind warnings issued along B.C. south coast
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning along northern sections of east Vancouver Island, with downpours expected to begin this evening as a "vigorous Pacific frontal system" moves over the coast. It says steady rain will begin in the afternoon, intensifying in the evening and is expected to continue into Wednesday.

Rain, wind warnings issued along B.C. south coast

B.C.'s new cabinet to be sworn in Nov. 18 after this week's judicial recounts

B.C.'s new cabinet to be sworn in Nov. 18 after this week's judicial recounts
British Columbia's new cabinet is expected to be sworn in on Nov. 18, almost a month after the provincial election that gave Premier David Eby's New Democrats the slimmest of majorities, pending recounts.

B.C.'s new cabinet to be sworn in Nov. 18 after this week's judicial recounts

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming
The Metro Vancouver regional district says construction will begin this month on a new 1.4-kilometre-long water supply tunnel deep under Stanley Park. A statement from the district says the tunnel will replace a water main that was built in the 1930s with work expected to stretch into 2029.

Tunnel under Stanley Park coming

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping
British Columbia's businesses leaders are urging port employers and more than 700 unionized workers to resolve their dispute immediately as a lockdown paralyzes shipping along Canada's west coast. The BC Maritime Employers Association says no negotiations are scheduled a day after it launched what it calls a defensive lockout against members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514.

B.C. business groups urge end to port lockout as labour dispute halts shipping

Eby wants all-party probe into B.C. vote count errors as election boss blames weather

Eby wants all-party probe into B.C. vote count errors as election boss blames weather
Premier David Eby is proposing an all-party committee investigate mistakes made during the British Columbia election vote tally, including an uncounted ballot box and unreported votes in three-quarters of the province's 93 ridings. The proposal comes after B.C.'s chief electoral officer blamed extreme weather, long working hours and a new voting system for human errors behind the mistakes in last month's count, though none were large enough to change the initial results.

Eby wants all-party probe into B.C. vote count errors as election boss blames weather

'It feels very bad': Brampton reels after two nights of tense protest outside temple

'It feels very bad': Brampton reels after two nights of tense protest outside temple
Monday night saw hundreds of demonstrators gather outside the Hindu Sabha Mandir in Brampton, Ont., where police allege people in the crowd were carrying weapons and objects were being thrown.  That demonstration came after violent protests on Sunday outside the same temple spilled over to two other locations in Mississauga, Ont. 

'It feels very bad': Brampton reels after two nights of tense protest outside temple