Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hindu temple in Surrey wants police suspended after protest unrest

Hindu temple in Surrey wants police suspended after protest unrest
The arrests outside the Sri Lakshmi Narayana Hindu Temple came as protesters calling for a separate Sikh nation called Khalistan had demonstrated outside the temple on Sunday during a visit by Indian consular officials.

Hindu temple in Surrey wants police suspended after protest unrest

Jump in home sales in Vancouver

Jump in home sales in Vancouver
Home sales in Greater Vancouver jumped nearly 32 per cent last month compared with October 2023 as interest rate reductions boosted demand. A statement from Greater Vancouver Realtors says more than 26-hundred homes changed hands, although that's still about 5.5 per cent below the 10-year average.

Jump in home sales in Vancouver

Shooting in a Nanaimo home

Shooting in a Nanaimo home
Police in Nanaimo say a man was taken to hospital with serious injuries following a shooting in a home on Saturday. R-C-M-P say they responded to reports of shots fired at around 6 p-m.

Shooting in a Nanaimo home

'Canada is watching': New northern Alberta police service trying to lead by example

'Canada is watching': New northern Alberta police service trying to lead by example
The result, he said, is a "non-traditional" policing model that will deploy mobile outreach workers alongside enforcement officers. 

'Canada is watching': New northern Alberta police service trying to lead by example

Woman hit with egg on Halloween treated in hospital, RCMP investigating as assault

Woman hit with egg on Halloween treated in hospital, RCMP investigating as assault
Mounties in northern Alberta say they're investigating a possible assault after a woman was hit in the face with an egg while handing out candy on Halloween. RCMP in Grande Prairie say the woman was taken to hospital and treated for injuries to her face.

Woman hit with egg on Halloween treated in hospital, RCMP investigating as assault

Oil, gas companies told to cut emissions by one-third under planned cap

Oil, gas companies told to cut emissions by one-third under planned cap
Oil and gas producers in Canada will be required to cut greenhouse gas emissions by about one-third over the next eight years under new regulations being published today by Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault. The regulations, still only in draft format and about two years behind schedule, could further strain relations between Ottawa and the Alberta government which recently launched a $7-million advertising campaign to "scrap the cap."

Oil, gas companies told to cut emissions by one-third under planned cap