Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week
A federal public inquiry into foreign interference is grappling with how to define its central issue as it begins the final week of hearings in Ottawa. The inquiry will hear from expert panels this week on disinformation, national security and how to ensure electoral integrity. 

Public inquiry grapples with definition of foreign interference in its final week

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election
The outcome of British Columbia's election was unclear after a close race between the NDP and the B.C. Conservatives, with the Greens poised to play a role in a potential minority government. Here's what the party leaders said on Saturday's election night.

Here's what the party leaders said after British Columbia's tight election

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada
Kash Heed said the Bishnoi gang, led by Lawrence Bishnoi, gained notoriety and instilled fear among Indian Canadians well before the RCMP accused the syndicate this week of orchestrating violent crimes on Canadian soil.

Bishnoi gang: Experts say fear of Indian syndicate has existed for years in Canada

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28
The final results of British Columbia's weekend election won't be known until at least next week. Elections BC says official recounts are being held in two tight ridings where the difference between the New Democrat and B.C. Conservatives candidates is less than 100 votes.

B.C.'s final election result won't be known until recounts complete Oct. 26-28

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP
Police in northeastern British Columbia say they're searching for a man who has failed to return from a 10-day camping trip in a remote provincial park. RCMP say Sam Benastick's family reported him missing on Saturday, after he didn't come home from the trip to Redfern-Keily Park, located about 250 kilometres northwest of Fort St. John.

Search underway for hiker missing from park in remote area of northern B.C.: RCMP

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police
Officers responded to a report of the slide along Quarry Road on the east side of Pinecone Burke Provincial Park at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Coquitlam RCMP said in a statement issued Sunday. The slide washed away one home, and Cpl. Alexa Hodgins with the Coquitlam detachment said it's believed the home was occupied at the time.

One home washed away in B.C. mudslide, owner missing: police