Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Tobacco giants would pay out $32.5 billion to provinces, smokers in proposed deal

Tobacco giants would pay out $32.5 billion to provinces, smokers in proposed deal
The companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — filed a proposed plan of arrangement in an Ontario court today after more than five years of negotiations with their creditors. The companies sought creditor protection in Ontario in early 2019 after they lost an appeal in a landmark court battle in Quebec.

Tobacco giants would pay out $32.5 billion to provinces, smokers in proposed deal

14 arrested in Whalley's drug trade

14 arrested in Whalley's drug trade
Police in Surrey say they have arrested 14 people in an enforcement operation targeting an open drug trade in the city’s Whalley area. Mounties say the operation took place on October 3rd, and also resulted in the seizure of 16 weapons, including a pellet gun, brass knuckles, batons, bear spray and knives.

14 arrested in Whalley's drug trade

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Israel's killing of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in the Gaza Strip "ends a reign of terror." The Israeli military declared today that it had killed Sinwar during a Wednesday battle and confirmed his death with a DNA test.

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'

Former Canadian Olympic athlete wanted in U.S. for murder, drug charges

Former Canadian Olympic athlete wanted in U.S. for murder, drug charges
Ryan James Wedding is one of 16 defendants named in an indictment filed in California, which details an operation that allegedly moved large shipments of cocaine from Colombia through Mexico and California to Canada and other locations in the United States. U.S. authorities say the 43-year-old Wedding, who was living in Mexico, is considered a fugitive. 

Former Canadian Olympic athlete wanted in U.S. for murder, drug charges

Suspected MDMA seizure by Delta Police

Suspected MDMA seizure by Delta Police
Police in Delta say officers seized about 87 kilograms of suspected M-D-M-A during a traffic stop in the city. They say occupants of the vehicle were arrested but have been released pending further investigation.

Suspected MDMA seizure by Delta Police

3 teens charged in transit assault

3 teens charged in transit assault
Transit police in Metro Vancouver say three teenage girls have been charged for two violent assaults that happened on public transit in Surrey in July. They say around 9 P-M on July 11th, the group attacked a 16-year-old at a SkyTrain station and later beat an 18-year-old woman on a bus following a verbal assault. 

3 teens charged in transit assault