Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants
Vancouver Police are looking for the occupants of an S-U-V that was in the area where Japanese chef Wataru Kakiuchi was fatally stabbed early on June 5th. A 32-year-old man was arrested and charged with second-degree murder less than a week after the stabbing in the city's Downtown Eastside.

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge
An early morning fire has destroyed a historic bridge in Kamloops. The blaze is believed to have started in the middle of city's Red Bridge at around 3 a-m, eventually engulfing the wooden structure that had two lanes for vehicles.

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge

B.C. Premier touts involuntary care plans at convention, days before campaign begins

B.C. Premier touts involuntary care plans at convention, days before campaign begins
B.C. Premier David Eby says several city governments are on board with having a "secure site" to house and treat severely mentally ill and drug addicted people.  Eby told local politicians at the Union of B.C. Municipalities conference in Vancouver that public safety is a priority for cities, especially in downtown cores, where many people are seen "visibly" struggling with addictions. 

B.C. Premier touts involuntary care plans at convention, days before campaign begins

Climate, food security, Arctic among Canada's intelligence priorities, Ottawa says

Climate, food security, Arctic among Canada's intelligence priorities, Ottawa says
The pressing issues of climate change and food security join more familiar ones like violent extremism and espionage on a new list of Canada's intelligence priorities. The federal government says publishing the list of priorities for the first time is an important step toward greater transparency.

Climate, food security, Arctic among Canada's intelligence priorities, Ottawa says

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value
An agreement between First Nations and the British Columbia government will see thousands of homes made available in Vancouver at 40-per-cent below cost. Premier David Eby calls it a "remarkable" accomplishment between the province and the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, which would see about 2,600 homes sold for 60 per cent of the value in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world. 

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value

NDP flips, BC United flops, B.C. Conservatives surge as election campaign approaches

NDP flips, BC United flops, B.C. Conservatives surge as election campaign approaches
If the lead up to British Columbia's provincial election campaign is any indication of what’s to come, voters should expect the unexpected.  It could be a wild ride to voting day on Oct. 19.

NDP flips, BC United flops, B.C. Conservatives surge as election campaign approaches