Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.
Court documents filed in the case of a Pakistani man arrested in Quebec for an alleged plot to kill Jews in New York City reveal the RCMP didn't have enough evidence to hold him in Canada. The RCMP arrested Muhammad Shahzeb Khan on Sept. 4 in Ormstown, Que., as he allegedly prepared to cross the nearby border into the United States.

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

C-T scanners at Canadian airports

C-T scanners at Canadian airports
C-T scanners are being put to use at Canada's airports for security screening, meaning travellers can soon leave their liquids, medical devices and large electronics in their carry-ons.  The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority made the announcement in Vancouver today, where the first installation of the new technology is in place. 

C-T scanners at Canadian airports

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash
No one was seriously hurt when four trucks were involved in a crash on Highway 97 near Prince George. Police say it happened yesterday near the Davie East Forest Service Road. 

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry
A Conservative MP who was targeted by Beijing told a federal inquiry Wednesday that Canada has become "a playground" for foreign interference.  Michael Chong, the Tory foreign affairs critic, said the federal government should shed its culture of secrecy and disclose more information about threats to better inform the public. 

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits
The Liberal government will slash the number of internationalstudent visas it processes by another 10 per cent. The government says the new target for 2025 and 2026 will be 437,000 permits. In 2024 the target was 485,000 permits.

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits