Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ferries in B.C. Kootenay region run 'as normal' after Labour Relations Board ruling

Ferries in B.C. Kootenay region run 'as normal' after Labour Relations Board ruling
The company that operates a cable ferry service in British Columbia's Kootenay region says sailings will be running as normal this week "and indefinitely." Western Pacific Marine says that comes after it applied for and received a stay from the province's Labour Relations Board of an earlier ruling that would have allowed expanded strike action on the free Kootenay Lake crossings. 

Ferries in B.C. Kootenay region run 'as normal' after Labour Relations Board ruling

Trudeau prorogues Parliament, will step down as prime minister after leadership race

Trudeau prorogues Parliament, will step down as prime minister after leadership race
A teary-eyed Trudeau told reporters outside Rideau Cottage, his official residence in Ottawa, on Monday that he reflected on his political future over the holidays and told his kids Sunday evening over dinner that he has decided it's time for him to move on.

Trudeau prorogues Parliament, will step down as prime minister after leadership race

Bitter winter chill coming to Yukon

Bitter winter chill coming to Yukon
Environment Canada is warning residents in large swaths of Yukon of bitter wind chill reaching as low as minus-50-degrees for the next few days. The weather agency says a stationary arctic ridge of high pressure over the region will bring wind chill values below minus-40 from Carmacks north to Dawson and the Alaskan border.

Bitter winter chill coming to Yukon

Unsolved homicide in Vancouver

Unsolved homicide in Vancouver
Vancouver police are renewing an appeal for witnesses of a July 2021 homicide of a 24-year-old man in the city's Southlands neighbourhood. They say Luis Rosas Saenz was stabbed and died on July 10, 2021, after leaving a house party near Southwest Marine Drive and West 57th Avenue.

Unsolved homicide in Vancouver

Explosive device found in Kamloops

Explosive device found in Kamloops
Mounties in Kamloops are looking for witnesses after an explosive device was found on the beach on New Year's Day. They say officers responded to the area of Schubert Drive and Richmond Avenue yesterday around 1:20 p.m. and found the "suspicious device."

Explosive device found in Kamloops

Former minister Marco Mendicino not running in next election

Former minister Marco Mendicino not running in next election
Mendicino says in a statement posted on social media that he has disagreed with the direction of the federal government, particularly when it comes to Canada's foreign policy on the Israel-Hamas war. 

Former minister Marco Mendicino not running in next election