Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario launches border-strengthening operation as Trump tariff threat looms

Ontario launches border-strengthening operation as Trump tariff threat looms
Ontario will beef up security along its border with the United States as part of its response to tariff threats from U.S. president-elect Donald Trump, Premier Doug Ford said Tuesday. The move, dubbed Operation Deterrence, will see some 200 Ontario Provincial Police officers focused on boosting border security. The OPP has been increasing patrols along the vast border using airplanes, helicopters drones, boats and patrol vehicles.

Ontario launches border-strengthening operation as Trump tariff threat looms

Liberals split on how quickly to proceed with choosing new leader

Liberals split on how quickly to proceed with choosing new leader
Attention is turning quickly in Ottawa to who will replace Justin Trudeau who announced Monday he will step aside as prime minister and Liberal leader as soon as a new leader is chosen. But some former Liberal advisers are split on how quickly the process should move.

Liberals split on how quickly to proceed with choosing new leader

The seven key pieces of Justin Trudeau’s political legacy

The seven key pieces of Justin Trudeau’s political legacy
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday he will resign as prime minister and Liberal leader once the party chooses a successor. Trudeau, who was first elected Oct. 19, 2015, steps down after nearly a decade in power. Here are the key pieces of his political legacy.

The seven key pieces of Justin Trudeau’s political legacy

Canada Post returns to full service for domestic parcels; letters still delayed

Canada Post returns to full service for domestic parcels; letters still delayed
Canada Post says it has reinstated on-time service guarantees and returned to full service levels for domestic parcels after a strike brought deliveries to a halt last year. However, it says Canadians should continue to expect delivery delays of several days beyond its service standard for transaction mail such as letters, bills and statements.

Canada Post returns to full service for domestic parcels; letters still delayed

Bank CEO worries shift to political uncertainty as mortgage risks ease

Bank CEO worries shift to political uncertainty as mortgage risks ease
The heads of Canada's biggest banks are finally seeing risks around mortgage renewals easing, only for worries about tariffs and political uncertainty to take their place. The worry comes as incoming U.S. president Donald Trump has threatened to impose a 25 per cent tariff on Canadian and Mexican imports over what he says is concerns around border security.

Bank CEO worries shift to political uncertainty as mortgage risks ease

Police in B.C. suspect homicide after body found in fire at Surrey abandoned house

Police in B.C. suspect homicide after body found in fire at Surrey abandoned house
Police in Surrey say homicide investigators have taken over the case of a body found after a fire was put out at an abandoned house over the weekend. Police say the death of man whose body was found inside the house in the 9800 block 138th Street is being treated as suspicious and the homicide investigation team has taken over the investigation.

Police in B.C. suspect homicide after body found in fire at Surrey abandoned house