Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Health officials report a death in a Winnipeg hospital emergency department

Health officials report a death in a Winnipeg hospital emergency department
Health officials are investigating a death at a Winnipeg hospital. Officials at the Health Sciences Centre say a middle-aged man arrived shortly after midnight Tuesday morning at the hospital's emergency department, was triaged as a lower-acuity case and directed to the waiting room.

Health officials report a death in a Winnipeg hospital emergency department

Passenger of semi-truck taken to hospital after crash involving train near Edmonton

Passenger of semi-truck taken to hospital after crash involving train near Edmonton
Alberta RCMP say one person has been airlifted to hospital after a collision involving a CN train and a semi-truck north of Edmonton. Mounties say officers were called to the scene between Highway 44 and Township Road 570 when the train slammed into the side of the truck.

Passenger of semi-truck taken to hospital after crash involving train near Edmonton

Special prosecutor appointed in case involving relative of B.C. provincial judge

Special prosecutor appointed in case involving relative of B.C. provincial judge
The BC Prosecution Service says it has appointed a special prosecutor in a case involving a person related to a provincial court judge. It says senior lawyer Chris Johnson was chosen in order to "avoid any potential for real or perceived improper influence in the administration of justice."

Special prosecutor appointed in case involving relative of B.C. provincial judge

Police incident ends in New Westminster after court and college evacuated

Police incident ends in New Westminster after court and college evacuated
Police say an incident that triggered the evacuation of the court complex at New Westminster, B.C., and the nearby campus of Douglas College has ended. New Westminster Police say the courthouse and surrounding area have been cleared and are open again to the public, around three hours after the evacuation was announced on Tuesday. 

Police incident ends in New Westminster after court and college evacuated

B.C. woman already banned from midwifery is charged after infant dies

B.C. woman already banned from midwifery is charged after infant dies
A British Columbia woman who describes herself as a childbirth advocate has been charged with manslaughter after police say an infant she helped deliver died days after its birth. RCMP in Ladysmith say 77-year-old Gloria Lemay was involved in the birth process of a child who was unresponsive when delivered on Dec. 27, 2023, at a private residence.

B.C. woman already banned from midwifery is charged after infant dies

Mean cats, math problems among police calls that 'missed the mark' in 2024: RCMP

Mean cats, math problems among police calls that 'missed the mark' in 2024: RCMP
Problem cats and help with homework were among several unconventional reasons people in Saskatchewan called the emergency line in 2024. The items were part of the RCMP’s annual lighthearted list of 911 calls that missed the mark.

Mean cats, math problems among police calls that 'missed the mark' in 2024: RCMP