Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER
The Manitoba government says a review is being launched into the death of a man who waited eight hours in a Winnipeg emergency department, but it's not clear how much of the review will be made public. Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara says a critical incident review will look at what happened after the man was brought by ambulance to the Health Sciences Centre early Tuesday morning.

Critical incident review launched into death of man who waited in Winnipeg ER

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase
Medical masks are again required in British Columbia health-care facilities as provincial authorities say cases of respiratory illness are rising. A statement from B.C.'s Health Ministry says workers, volunteers and visitors in facilities operated by provincial health authorities must wear masks in areas where patients are receiving care in order to prevent the spread of the flu, RSV and COVID-19.

B.C. orders masks for hospitals, care facilities as flu, respiratory illness increase

Two bodies found after vehicle fire extinguished in B.C. regional park

Two bodies found after vehicle fire extinguished in B.C. regional park
Police say two bodies were found inside a vehicle that had allegedly been set on fire in a regional park in Abbotsford. They say officers and firefighters responded to a burning Mitsubishi Outlander on Jan. 3 in Sumas Mountain Regional Park, and when the flames were put out they discovered what appeared to be human remains. 

Two bodies found after vehicle fire extinguished in B.C. regional park

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse
Police have confirmed that the threat of an explosive device was the reason for the evacuation of a large area around the New Westminster courthouse including nearby Douglas College.

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Canada will not become the 51st US state: Eby

Canada will not become the 51st US state: Eby
Premier David Eby says Canada will not become the 51st American state. Eby says he's proud to be a Canadian and people in both countries recognize they are different places with different priorities, but are also good neighbours.

Canada will not become the 51st US state: Eby

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation
Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously. Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation