Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Education support workers in and near Edmonton could walk off job as soon as Monday

Education support workers in and near Edmonton could walk off job as soon as Monday
More than 3,000 educational support workers in Edmonton and some nearby communities could walk off the job as early as Monday. The Canadian Union of Public Employees says locals representing workers with the Edmonton Public School Board and the Sturgeon Public School Division were to serve strike notice on Thursday.

Education support workers in and near Edmonton could walk off job as soon as Monday

U.S. Capitol rioter arrested in B.C. ski resort after claiming political asylum

U.S. Capitol rioter arrested in B.C. ski resort after claiming political asylum
An American man convicted for his part in the riot on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 has been arrested in the ski resort of Whistler. The Canada Border Services Agency says in a statement that Antony Vo, described as "a fugitive from U.S. justice," was arrested on Monday without incident.

U.S. Capitol rioter arrested in B.C. ski resort after claiming political asylum

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility
British Columbia's election agency is reviewing a complaint of irregularities in a riding where a narrow NDP victory in last October's election gave the party a one-seat majority, with Conservative Leader John Rustad highlighting allegations related to improper mail-in voting at an addiction recovery facility.

Elections BC looks at Conservative complaint of improper voting at recovery facility

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership
Ontario MP Chandra Arya is the second Liberal to announce he wants to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as leader of the Liberal party. Arya posted on social media Thursday morning he wants to campaign on running a "small, more efficient government" and on offering "bold political decisions" to solve the country's problems.

Backbench Ottawa MP Chandra Arya to run for Liberal leadership

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts
At a meeting in Germany on Thursday of the Ukrainian Defence Contact Group, Defence Minister Bill Blair announced details of $440 million in Canadian funding for Ukraine promised earlier this year.

Ukrainian-Canadians urge ongoing support for country amid political shifts

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires
Pascal Duclos, head pilot for the Quebec government's aerial service, said he spent several hours in the air on Tuesday, dumping dozens of loads of water over fire-devastated areas from his plane.

'On the front line': Quebec planes and B.C. helicopters battle L.A. wildfires