Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Wind, snow, rain to pummel parts of B.C. again as search goes on for missing person

Wind, snow, rain to pummel parts of B.C. again as search goes on for missing person
Another storm is rolling off the Pacific, bringing heavy rain and strong winds to British Columbia's coast and a blanket of snow to the Interior. It comes as the search continues for a person missing when their home was caught by a mudslide that also rolled over the Sea to Sky Highway near Lions Bay during a storm last weekend. 

Wind, snow, rain to pummel parts of B.C. again as search goes on for missing person

Justin Trudeau taking the time to reflect on his future: natural resources minister

Justin Trudeau taking the time to reflect on his future: natural resources minister
Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says Justin Trudeau is taking some time to reflect after the bombshell resignation of his top cabinet minister on Monday. Chrystia Freeland quit as finance minister just hours before she was set to present the government's fall economic statement. 

Justin Trudeau taking the time to reflect on his future: natural resources minister

2 shot in Surrey on Monday night

2 shot in Surrey on Monday night
Police are investigating after two people were shot Monday evening in Surrey. Police say officers were called by a woman just before 6 p-m who reported her and husband had both been shot

2 shot in Surrey on Monday night

Tories call for House hearings on tariffs amid Liberal tumult as firms seek strategy

Tories call for House hearings on tariffs amid Liberal tumult as firms seek strategy
The Conservatives are calling for Parliament to hold hearings in January on Canada-U.S. trade ahead of president-elect Donald Trump's entry to the White House. The Tories say they have no faith in the Liberals to handle the situation following Monday's resignation of former finance minister Chrystia Freeland, who was set to have a major role in shaping Canada's response to Trump.

Tories call for House hearings on tariffs amid Liberal tumult as firms seek strategy

Eight-year-old boy hit by vehicle in school parking lot in Nanaimo

Eight-year-old boy hit by vehicle in school parking lot in Nanaimo
An eight-year-old boy is in hospital with serious injuries after being hit by a vehicle in Nanaimo. RCMP say it happened in a school parking lot just before eight on Tuesday morning. 

Eight-year-old boy hit by vehicle in school parking lot in Nanaimo

Canadian icon Terry Fox to be featured on new $5 bill

Canadian icon Terry Fox to be featured on new $5 bill
Terry Fox has been selected to appear on the next $5 bank note. The federal government made the revelation in its fall economic statement on Monday.

Canadian icon Terry Fox to be featured on new $5 bill