Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa police use DNA from 1996 murder to identify Vancouver stabbing suspect

Ottawa police use DNA from 1996 murder to identify Vancouver stabbing suspect
Ottawa police say 73-year-old Lawrence Diehl was taken into custody by Vancouver police on Dec. 10 and returned to Ottawa, and he's accused of second-degree murder in the death of Christopher Smith on April 12, 1996. 

Ottawa police use DNA from 1996 murder to identify Vancouver stabbing suspect

Historic plane's final trip to U.S. interrupted by emergency landing near Victoria

Historic plane's final trip to U.S. interrupted by emergency landing near Victoria
The Victoria Airport Authority confirmed the Philippine Mars, one of two remaining aircraft of its kind, had to land at the airport's water aerodrome at Patricia Bay on Sunday due to mechanical problems. 

Historic plane's final trip to U.S. interrupted by emergency landing near Victoria

Ottawa promises $1.3 billion for border security as U.S. tariff threat looms

Ottawa promises $1.3 billion for border security as U.S. tariff threat looms
The federal government is promising to spend $1.3 billion over six years to beef up Canada’s border security but still won't say exactly how that money will be spent. The figures are part of the government's fall economic statement which was tabled in the House of Commons this afternoon in Ottawa.

Ottawa promises $1.3 billion for border security as U.S. tariff threat looms

Al Raine, only mayor of Sun Peaks dead at the age of 83

Al Raine, only mayor of Sun Peaks dead at the age of 83
Al Raine, the only mayor of Sun Peaks Resort Municipality and husband of champion skier Nancy Greene Raine, has died at the age of 83. Raine issued a statement on Saturday, saying that as of midnight he would resign as Sun Peaks mayor, saying it wasn't something he wanted to do but his illness was growing more difficult. 

Al Raine, only mayor of Sun Peaks dead at the age of 83

Wind warning issued for coastal BC

Wind warning issued for coastal BC
Environment Canada has issued a wind warning for northern coastal regions of B-C, including Prince Rupert and Portland Inlet. It says a building ridge of high pressure over the Interior of B-C will push arctic air and strong winds through inlets and valleys starting tonight, with gusts up to 100 kilometres an hour expected.

Wind warning issued for coastal BC

Man stabbed in Port Alberni

Man stabbed in Port Alberni
Mounties in Port Alberni say a man remains in critical condition after being stabbed in the city this weekend. They say officers responded to a call around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday and arrived to find the injured victim. 

Man stabbed in Port Alberni