Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta urges Calgary city council to approve province's Green Line transit proposal

Alberta urges Calgary city council to approve province's Green Line transit proposal
The province contracted consulting firm AECOM in July to find alternatives to the city's latest proposal, which would have involved a tunnel through downtown and run a drastically shorter distance than previously planned.

Alberta urges Calgary city council to approve province's Green Line transit proposal

Scam targeting the elderly in Vancouver

Scam targeting the elderly in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver are warning seniors about a new bank card scam that resulted in about 40-thousand dollars in combined losses for two victims this month. They say fraudsters called the victims from a phone number that appeared to be a legitimate financial institution, claiming that there had been irregular activity on their accounts.

Scam targeting the elderly in Vancouver

B.C. NDP government, Greens reach 'shared priorities' agreement

B.C. NDP government, Greens reach 'shared priorities' agreement
Eby's party won a bare majority with 47 seats in the October provincial election, while two Greens were elected and the B.C. Conservatives have 44 seats. The premier's statement says the NDP and Greens will work together on health care, affordable housing, creating livable communities and growing a strong, sustainable economy. 

B.C. NDP government, Greens reach 'shared priorities' agreement

Former B.C. New Democrat member of the legislature Dan Coulter dead at 49

Former B.C. New Democrat member of the legislature Dan Coulter dead at 49
The party says Coulter "always championed the underdog," citing his work in the legislature after his election in Chilliwack in 2020, his former role of chair of the Chilliwack school board and as the Parliamentary secretary for accessibility and minister of state for infrastructure and transit.

Former B.C. New Democrat member of the legislature Dan Coulter dead at 49

Woman who preyed on Chinese students fined $3.3 million by BC Securities Commission

Woman who preyed on Chinese students fined $3.3 million by BC Securities Commission
A woman who used "high-pressure tactics and predatory conduct" on Chinese students has been fined $3.3 million by the BC Securities Commission. The commission says in a statement that a panel ordered Meiyun Zhang to pay an administrative penalty of $2.5 million and more than $790,000 in the traceable cash she's alleged to have obtained through fraud. 

Woman who preyed on Chinese students fined $3.3 million by BC Securities Commission

Skier missing at Sun Peaks resort

Skier missing at Sun Peaks resort
Police and search crews are on the lookout for a skier missing at Sun Peaks Resort since Tuesday. R-C-M-P say 68-year-old Tomasz Jaholkowski did not appear to return to his hotel room after being seen on surveillance video at a chairlift earlier in the day.

Skier missing at Sun Peaks resort